This is the Form 990 (tax return) filed by the Humane Society of the United States for the tax year 2009. It was filed with the IRS on September 2, 2010. At 114 pages, this tax return covers most financial aspects of HSUS, and provides accounting details unavailable anywhere else.
According to this tax return, less than 1 percent of the HSUS budget in 2009 consisted of grants to real “humane societies” and other hands-on pet shelter groups in the United States.
Here are some other highlights:
- Total revenue: $101.6 million
- Total expenses: $121.7 million
- Net assets as of December 31, 2009: $160.5 million
- Fundraising expenses: $22.3 million (23 percent of every dollar raised)
- Salaries and benefits: $35.8 million
- Pension contributions: $2.6 million
- Total grants to other groups: $6.7 million
- Grants to ballot-initiative political front groups: $1.95 million
- Funds passed through to the HSUS-affiliated “Humane Society International”: $2.7 million